On a whim, I took a cupcake decorating class, and was hooked!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Deviled Eggs... Cadbury eggs, that is!

This is a first-and-only.  The first and only time I'm going to make these "Deviled Eggs." 
I first saw them here.

They are cute as heck, but boy, what a pain to make!  Here's an example of the cuteness:


Isn't that adorable?  I thought so, and thus began my descent into madness. 


Start with a bunch of Cadbury Chocolate Creme Eggs.  I suppose you could use the regular Cadbury Creme Eggs, but I like chocolate, so ... decision made.  Get about half again as many as you think you're going to need.  Get a sharp knife, and cut them in half along the seam.  Weep.  Gnash your teeth.  Because you are going to get a few that come out like this:



And (unless your knife skills are a better than mine, which is pretty likely because I don't set the bar all that high) you're going to get WAY, WAY more than you'd hope that come out like this:


Make a batch of buttercream or cream cheese icing.  I made vanilla cream cheese icing, which made up for some of the weeping, because YUM!

I used Wilton Gel Dye in lemon yellow to color the batch (I probably should have started out coloring half the batch, because that was plenty for the number of eggs.  So now I've got a lot of leftover yellow cream cheese icing, which actually works out pretty well, because I want to make lemon cupcakes with lemon cream cheese icing, and this will be a good start).

I chose a 199 tip, and probably should have gone with a different one to get a more traditional deviled-egg feel.  I ate too many of the rejects, and now I am completely wired, let me tell you!  And I still have to figure out how to carry these to work with me tomorrow morning.




Lessons learned:  Don't do this again.  Just.  Don't.  It is not worth all the broken egg heartache!

No comments:

Post a Comment