- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups self rising flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 90 g unsalted butter, softened (but not too softened, as I learned..)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil, plus small basil leaves to decorate
Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until well combined. Add the orange and lemon zests, then stir in the olive oil. Stir in the sifted flour alternately with the milk and orange juice. Stir the mixture gently for 30 seconds with a wooden spoon.
Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
To make the icing, place half the icing sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and chopped basil in large mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar until the icing is thick. Decorate each cake with the icing and a small basil leaf.
EDIT: recipe from a book called Cupcakes: a fine selection of sweet treats by Murdoch Books