On a whim, I took a cupcake decorating class, and was hooked!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Alice's Buttercream is fantastic!

Have you ever had lemon frosting out of the plastic tub at the grocery store?  I love lemon, so tried making a batch of lemon cupcakes once, using the lemon frosting.  The cake was fine, but the frosting tasted like Lemon Pledge.  Bleurgh!

So, I was intrigued when the recipe for SavorySweetLife's Classic Buttercream mentioned that you can use lemon extract instead of vanilla.  Never having used lemon extract before, I was naturally concerned that it would taste like furniture polish.  So I made a batch of lemon cupcakes, and then made a scaled-down batch of buttercream, with lemon extract.

YUMMMMMM!!!  It was fantastic!  Bright and sweet, without a hint of dustrag anywhere.  Full steam ahead!  Finished out the rest of the batch in Moaning Myrtle, iced the cupcakes using my current favorite tip, 2D.  And, to add the final lovely touch, finished them with a sprinkle of yellow Cake Sparkles:


Success!!!  They are terrific.  :-)  Anyone want a cupcake?  I say again, I will never, ever buy frosting in a tub again.  Buttercream is SO easy in a KitchenAid, and it's just so darn good.  Not to mention the ingredients: Butter, powdered sugar, salt, milk, and whatever flavor you want.  Pretty simple stuff.

Lessons learned:  Make a little batch when trying a new flavor, so that if it does turn out to taste like cleaning supplies, you haven't wasted half a pound of butter and 4 cups of powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment