On a whim, I took a cupcake decorating class, and was hooked!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Myrtle's Polka Dots

I haven't been able to find ready-made polka dots, so I'm going to make my own.  On a whim, I stopped by Michael's this afternoon to see what kind of cupcake goodies they had.  (Ohhh, the cupcake papers I saw!!  So darn cute.)  And then it occurred to me that they had all kinds of punches for scrapbooking, and sure enough!  I found some round ones in different sizes.  No contact paper, though - I ordered that from Amazon.  So when it gets here, I'm going to punch out red polka dots and stick them all over Moaning Myrtle.

The trip to Michael's also yielded some very cute sugar sprinkles, a couple new decorating tips, and a Decorating Nail Set.  I'd been wondering about having something to practice with icing techniques, and this, I think, will fit the bill nicely.  I can scrape off the icing back into the container, and scraping off a cupcake only works a couple of times before the cupcake is irretrievably mangled.  Also considering getting a tub of their ready-made decorator icing; I'm very sure it would be cheaper than making buttercream for practice!

On the wish list:  a baking pan with very, very small cupcake recesses.  The bonbon sized cupcake papers are too small for the mini cupcake pans I have, and if I can find a way to make adorable TINY cupcakes, maybe folks at work would eat them!  So the holes would need to be about an inch in diameter, and the resulting cupcakes would be about the size of petit-fours.  Won't that be cute?  I'm finding some possibilities in silicone. 

Also on the wish list:  Drip-cut batter dispenser - although this might be more trouble than it's worth. 

Fangirl link of the day:  Alice's chocolate ganache

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if I can just use a double-layer of bonbon liners to make tiny cupcakes without having to get another baking pan?

    ReplyDelete